Detailed Cabrillo specifications can be found here.
To summerize: Logs consist of two parts:
- The header gives station and operator information such as name, address, entry category, comments, etc.
- The log itself with one QSO per line in a specific order.
The header always starts with this line:
The “3.0” refers to the version of Cabrillo and 3.0 is the current version. The remaining lines of the header can be in any order. There are several lines that are optional, but these lines are REQUIRED:
- CONTEST: HI-QSO-PARTY
- CATEGORY-OPERATOR: The only allowable options:
- CATEGORY-OPERATOR: SINGLE-OP
- CATEGORY-OPERATOR: MULTI-OP
- CATEGORY-TRANSMITTER: ONE (or TWO, or THREE, etc.) That is, how many radios were operated at the same time.
- CATEGORY-POWER: LOW (6 to 100 watts)
- CATEGORY-POWER: HIGH (101 watts to your legal limit)
- CATEGORY-POWER: QRP (0 to 5 watts)
- CALLSIGN: This must be the call sign used on the air.
- CATEGORY-BAND: ALL The options are ALL, 80, 40, 20, 15, or 10
- EMAIL: This must be the email where we can contact you if needed.
Optional lines that we would like to see include:
- GRID-LOCTOR: (four characters such as BL10)
- SOAPBOX: (as many lines as you like)
There are several more optional lines in the official specification, but those will be ignored by our process.
The log lines all take this format:
QSO: 14239 PH 2022-08-27 1835 KH6TU 59 LNI W0AB 59 KS
- All information must be separated by at least ONE space character (more is better for visual reading by vertically lining up columns.
- All lines start with QSO:
- Frequency 14239 in kHz (no decimals)
- Mode PH – which can be PH, CW, or DG (RY can be used instead of DG)
- Date 2022-08-27 must be in the form of yyyy-mm-dd and must be in GMT (UTC)
- Time 1835 must be the even minute of the QSO (4 digits, 24 hour format, no colon, GMT)
- Your call as sent KH6TU
- Your signal report as sent 59 (RST, or signal to noise as measured by WSJT if used)
- Your QTH as sent LNI (must be three character code if in Hawaii, two character postal code for state or province, or DX if outside USA, Canada)
- Call of the station you worked W0AB
- Signal report you received 59
- QTH of the station you worked KS (three, or two characters or DX as above) If a Hawaii station works a station participating in the KS or OH QSO party and receive their county instead of their state, enter the STATE .. not their county.
THE LAST LINE must be: END-OF-LOG:
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org